July 2, 2011
The new features of the Act are:
- Appointment of Government approved Test Centers for verification of weights and measures.
- Allowing the companies to nominate a person who will be held responsible for breach of provisions of the Act.
- Simplified definition of Packaged Commodity and more stringent punishment for violation of provisions.
- All restrictions on Inter-State trade and commerce of weights and measures are removed
- Companies are required to nominate a director who will be held responsible for any act of violation of provisions of the Act.
- No verification of weights and measures will be required for using them for production in an industry.
- Manufacturers and importers are required to seek approval of model of the weight or measure even if it is meant for domestic uses.