July 2, 2011
The Government of India has circulated the model draft Legal Metrology (Enforcement) Rules, 2011 for States/UTs. Meanwhile, most of the State Governments have published draft notification in the State Gazette, inviting objection, if any, to be submitted within 30 days of the publication. Salient Features
- License for manufacturing, dealership or repairing will remain valid for one to five years. The license or renewal fee will be Rs. 500 per year for manufacturer, and Rs. 200 per year for others.
- Every licensee will have to furnish a security deposit of Rs 200 for each license.Issue of Verification Certificate and display thereof, omitted in the main act, has been reintroduced.
- There is a provision for issuing a duplicate verification certificate on payment of a fee of Rs.10.
- LMO is authorized to recover expenses incurred for visiting a premises for verification, including costs of transporting and handling Working Standards and other equipment at minimum of Rs. 100
- Paper Seal/Sticker may be used for affixing verification stamp, design of which will be approved by the Controller.
- There will be a uniform rate for compounding of an offense